Pages

Friday 11 March 2016

The 11th Annual Empty Bowls

Soup, Wine and Charity!

On March 9, 2016 Bethlehem Housing and Support Services hosted their 11th Annual Empty Bowls Charity Fundraiser.  A quick run down on Bethlehem House:
  • Founded in 1985.
  • Created out of a need to help people who are homeless due to poverty issues, physically disable, mental health conditions, or victims of domestic violence. 
  • Between 2014-2015 51 families lived in Bethlehem Place.
  • 75% of people who moved out of Bethlehem Housing and into independent home ownership or market housing.  
For over 30 years Bethlehem has been helping families in Niagara Region.  To support this they put on many events; however, their most interesting one to me is Empty Bowls.  Empty Bowls is essentially a soup cook off.  Chefs from around the Niagara Region come to earn bragging rights.  This year there was Weinkeller (who took home first prize for their mussel chowder), El Gastronomo Vagabundo, Dani's Bistro, Johnny Rocco's, Nini Panini Factory (People's Choice Winner), Red Stone, and many more.  Each guest gets a bowl, which is handcrafted and unique.  They also get a drink passport.  This is my favourite part of these events, wine and beer tastings for everyone.  

Red Stone Winery
At Empty Bowls this year Red Stone Winery arrived.  They had brought with them their Riesling.  Red Stone Winery is the new kid on the block.  In the sense it's been open for a year now but I hadn't had a chance to try their wines yet.  Red Stone is also a restaurant.  They don't do tours but they have food and tasting flights, as well as, a wine store.  They are the sister sight to Tawse Winery and both are owned by legendary Moray Tawse.  They have some unique blends of wines at Red Stone.  What makes Tawse's wines so interesting is since 2013 they have been given Organic and Bio-Dynamic Certification.  This means no pesticides, no chemicals and the grapes are picked by hand.  It also means that they treat the soil as if it's a living organism.  There's a lot that goes into and I highly recommend reading their philosophy on vineyards. 

With all my posts I try to recommend a wine for my readers to go out and buy.  This time I'm going recommend you take an adventure.  Go to the Red Stone at 4245 King St. in Beamsville, ON.  You won't be disappointed.  

Travel well my friends.

2 comments:

  1. I will keep an eye out for this event next year. I love the idea giving the guests pottery as a keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never a big fan of wine (any kind) but I think, I will have to try and get to know the taste of it and for sure if I get a chance to visit the place I will. Thanks Jon.

    ReplyDelete